Pre-Operative and Post-Operative Care of the Surgical Patient
Care of surgical patients in the pre-operative and post-operative phases of a procedure is an important responsibility of a Certified Nursing Assistant that requires close collaboration with all members of the surgical team. Preparing a patient for surgery requires focus on pre-operative tasks as well as patient education and psychological preparation and support. Pre-operative care of patients helps to ensure successful outcomes in the post-operative phase of recovery and healing. The surgical treatment team must always bear in mind that the surgical patient has been through very stressful experience and that serious complications are possible. By preparing the patient and reinforcing post-operative treatment the surgical health team can encourage patient compliance during all phases of recovery. The post-operative exercises and preventive measures to avoid post-operative complications to speed the recovery process are discussed.
After completing this inservice, the learner will be able to:
- Describe the pre-operative tasks and psychological preparation of the surgical patient.
- Describe patient education of surgical procedures and legal documentation needed.
- Identify the serious complications that are possible after surgery.
- Patient Care Before Surgery
- Fasting Requirements Before Surgery
- Skin Preparation
- Pre-Operative Teaching
- Incentive Spirometer
- Psychological Preparation and Support
- Post-operative Care and Complications